|Current Adelaide time:||Contact me: +61 410 642 052|
Articles on organizational communication
|As Featured On Ezine Articles|
Here's a list of articles that are available for reading on this site.
All but a handchosen selection are written by me...
"As an attorney and professional consultant and speaker, I thoroughly enjoyed your article in today's Attard Business Know How newsletter. You've set out a concise and comprehensive handbook to creating, reviewing and delivering effective communications. Thanks for the article." Tom MacMurray, USA
The subtle psychological art of suggestion
What is 'Suggestion'?
Confidence is all
Value of reputable advertising
Checks on advertising
Familiar faces in advertising
Making a speech sound profound
Free press and censorship
"I saw it in the papers/on tv"
Prestige and personal appearance
Use of pompous words
Why we are unwilling to ask for explanations
Use of false humility and the effective use of the Schopenhauer method
Nonverbal messages are more important than what the prospect says
Nonverbal communication - an overview
Colour your communication - what colours really 'mean' to your communication's audience
Types of nonverbal communication - listening skills by Gwen Nyhus Stewart
Types of nonverbal communication - Kinesics ("It's not what you say but how you say it") by Michel Fortin
Free website traffic is your best option
You need a comprehensive plan to increase website traffic
Increasing free web site traffic
Increasing website traffic isn't difficult
Using promotion to increase web site traffic
How important is site traffic analysis?
Targeted website traffic is the key to success
A traffic measurement tool that works
Free Website design report
Private Label Rights :: Online surveys :: Identity theft :: Cell phones
- 251. 5 key elements to nonverbal communication in business
- 250. How companies can manage BYOD networks and resources
- 249. Observe these six phone service tips for your business by Leah and Patrick Del Rosario
- 248. Body language will make or break leaders by Carol Kinsey Goman PhD
- 246. 7 tips for building quality backlinks by Rick Sarouk
- 245. 7 Ways to Utilize Facebook Timeline for Business by Rick Sarouk
- 244. Four social media outlets business owners should be using but aren’t
- 243. Three uber-cool & creative tools for heavy Twitter users by Lior Levin
- 242. Social media manners: A top ten, how-to guide for content marketers by Rachel Carlson
- 241. Top Ten Business Communication Mistakes–a guide for Gen Y by Brianna Davis
- 240. Set good social media goals for your business by Lior Levin
- 239. BCR086 :: An interview with Holden’s Andrea Matthews
- 238. Marketing with Facebook Fan Pages: 3 Tips for the Best Results by Nadia Jones
- 237. Is social media bad for PR by Rachel Carson
- 236. Using social media to network in the professional community by Ariel Stevens
- 235. Build customer engagement with social media by Matt Polsky
- 234. Types of graphics used in business reports
- 233. How social media can help grow your business
- 232. Book review: Welcome to the Fifth Estate, by Geoff Livingston
- 231. Book review: Social Marketing to the Business Customer by Gillin and Schwartzman
- 230. Business Communication - The Art of the Creative Mind by Kathleen Hubert
- 229. The true cost of Unified Communications: Tales of the Unexpected by Ben Mendoza
- 228. Employee communication: Pretend this is your first day on the job – how does your communication landscape stack up?
- 227. Social media is dead. Long live whatever comes next
- 226. Synchronicity as a signal by Kare Anderson
- 225. The priceless power of memorable naming by Kare Anderson
- 224. Fixing the flaws in the 10 principles of clear writing by Philip Yaffe
- 223. Venus, Mars, and workplace communication by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 222. How to apply the three Acid Tests of persuasive writing by Philip Yaffe
- 221. The body language of empathy by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 220. How to write a corporate image brochure people will truly want to read by Philip Yaffe
- 219. The Obama-Clinton touch by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 218. The secrets of writing a truly useful executive summary by Philip Yaffe
- 217. The greatest gift by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 216. How verbal variety kills comprehension by Philip Yaffe
- 215. Body language tips for the office party by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 214. How crafty word order can instantly improve your writing by Philip Yaffe
- 213. Leadership in challenging times by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 212. How Americans can instantly improve their speaking skills by Philip Yaffe
- 211. Why Jane doesn't lead by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 210. How to tap into your prospects' minds and influence them to buy! by Larry Dotson
- 209. The Strange Story of the "Crackpot" Mail-Order Prophet by Joe Vitale
- 208. How to anticipate the unexpected by Philip Yaffe
- 207. Nonverbal communication: Why you talk with your hands by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 206. Isn't it time for the metric system to stop going around in circles? by Philip Yaffe
- 205. The hard work of soft skills by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 204. Why does time go faster as we get older? by Philip Yaffe
- 203.Body language in the workplace : 5 mistakes to avoid by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 202. Product review: Proposal Kit
- 201. Introduction to the subtle psychological art of suggestion
- 200. Background to the subtle psychological art of suggestion
- 199. What is 'Suggestion'?
- 198. Confidence is all
- 197. Value of reputable advertising
- 196. Checks on advertising
- 195. Familiar faces in advertising
- 194. Making a speech sound profound
- 193. Free press and censorship
- 192. "I saw it in the papers/on tv"
- 191. Prestige and personal appearance
- 190. Use of pompous words
- 189. Why we are unwilling to ask for explanations
- 188. Use of false humility and the effective use of the Schopenhauer method
- 187. Summary of the subtle psychological art of suggestion
- 186. Thriving on discontinuous change by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 185. Myths and realities of writing for the web by Philip Yaffe
- 184. How verbal variety kills comprehension by Philip Yaffe
- 183. Pithy prose: the wit & wisdom of people named 'W' by Philip Yaffe
- 182. Pithy prose: the wit & wisdom of Oscar Wilde by Philip Yaffe
- 181. Pithy prose: the wit & wisdom of Mark Twain by Philip Yaffe
- 180. Why clear writing means aiming for the lowest common denominator - and then some by Philip Yaffe
- 179. Making sense of nonsense: writing advice from Lewis Carroll and the Jabberwocky by Philip Yaffe
- 178. Columbo: what can a bumbling, inarticulate Los Angeles cop teach us about effective communication? by Philip Yaffe
- 177. Notes on writing from writers of note by Philip Yaffe
- 176. Can learning languages help you better understand science and technology? by Philip Yaffe
- 175. Creativity and common sense in non-consumer advertising by Philip Yaffe
- 174. Face to face by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 173. What I've learned about communicating change by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 172. Pants on Fire! by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 171. The power of optimism by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 170. Yaffe's Law vs. Murphy's Law by Philip Yaffe
- 169. Laugh your way to persuasive communication by Philip Yaffe
- 168. Techniques of persuasive communication by Philip Yaffe
- 167. Counterbalance by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 166. SEO is dead! by Randy Zlobec
- 165. Creativity and common sense in non-consumer advertising by Philip Yaffe
- 164. What your office says about you by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 163. When change changes by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 162. Leading change, one move at a time by Carol Kinsey Goman
- 161. How to meet the linguistic challenges of working abroad by Philip Yaffe
- 160. Using website design software to your advantage
- 159. What to expect from a web site design company
- 158. Here's some ideas to implement into your building/construction website
- 157. Custom website design and its benefit
- 156. Common questions about website design
- 155. The advantages of a custom web site design
- 154. Website design & development as a career
- 153. Some facts about website design and hosting companies
- 152. The importance of web site design and maintenance
- 151. Sssh! The secrets to affordable website design
- 150. Free website traffic is your best option
- 149. You need a comprehensive plan to increase website traffic
- 148. Increasing free web site traffic
- 147. Increasing website traffic isn't difficult
- 146. Using promotion to increase web site traffic
- 145. How important is site traffic analysis?
- 144. Targeted website traffic is the key to success
- 143. A traffic measurement tool that works
- 142. How to improve your writing (by standing on your head!) by Philip Yaffe
- 141. Time for email to go?
- 140. The mathematics of persuasive communication by Philip Yaffe
- 139. Virtual worlds and communication by Carol Kinsey Goman, PhD
- 138. VOIP - phone a friend!
- 137. VOIP telephones
- 136. Going shopping for a new VOIP phone
- 135. VOIP Gateway explained
134. VOIP FAQ
133. Phone systems VOIP
132. Phone service VOIP
130. Hosted VOIP services
129. Interview with Kryptonite's Donna Tocci (from early 2006)
122. Update on Second Life — more big names...
120. "Simple words work best" by Bill Lampton
119. "Muzzling the motor mouths" by Bill Lampton
118. "Does your marketing plan need changing?" by Joy Gendusa
117. "Communication: who is in their right mind?" by Kevin Dwyer
116. "Practice makes perfect: changing your communication habits one step at a time" by Judy Ringer
115. "Difficult conversations — getting started" by Judy Ringer
114. "Being heard: mental and verbal strategies for getting your point across" by Judy Ringer
113. "I can't afford a publicity/pr campaign... can I?" by Todd Brabender
112. "Communicating change: don't let them hear it on the grapevine" by Kevin Dwyer
111. "Get discovered through press releases" by Lorraine Cote
110. "Non-verbal messages are more important than what the prospect says" by Tim Connor
109. "Create great PR by staying in touch" by Bette Daoust
108. "Nine tips for handling public speaking questions" by Alan Fairweather
107. "Communication: Five Ways It Can Improve Your Business" by Kate Smalley
106. "To-the-point... Achieve your business objectives 25-50% faster" by Robert Poulton
105. "Why Corporate Identity is a Very Powerful Communication Branding Tool" by Thomson Chemmanoor
104. "Cross Cultural Solutions for International Business" by Neil Payne
103. "Essential communication skills for effective networking" By Michael Harrison
102. "Information Exchange - Business Communication" by Halstatt Pires
101. "The Spoken word: still the best way to communicate" by Wendy Friedman
100. "Great communication: a tool for managing time" by Tony Robinson
99. "Virtual Office - Communication Choices With Internet Based Business" by Frank Owen
98. "Why a communication plan is key for Virtual Assistants" by Jaylene Gonyea
97. Internal communication - what is it, what is the best way to 'do' it?
82. Nonverbal communication: career self-sabotage
79. Communication confusion by Rhonda Goetz
78. Communication workout: "How to Keep Your Communication in Tip-Top Shape" by Dale Klein
77. Workplace conflict: "How Do I Manage Workplace Conflict?" by Philip Lye
76. HR Communication pays off. By John T Mooney
75. Six reasons people don't listen at work. By Carla Rieger
74. Workplace culture: "What the **Bleep** Do You Know About Workplace Attitude?" by Carla Rieger
73. Communication failure: "What We Have Here Is A Failure To Communicate" by Harry Hoover
69. What's the most important word in marketing? by Scott Ginsberg
68. 62 ways to maximise your approachability by Scott Ginsberg
62. Nonverbal communication - an overview
60. Hurdles to Cross Cultural Business Communication by Neil Payne
59. Check Your Communication Skills by Steve Kaye
58. Cell Phone Do's And Don't During A Meeting by Scott Ginsberg
57. Colour your communication - what colours really 'mean' to your communication's audience
56. Presentation outliner - use it to prepare your next speech or communication
52. Financial Communications firms: Nurture Marketing, by Diana Clement
51. Five Presentation Secrets That Will Change Your Life by Debbie Bailey
50. Types of nonverbal communication - listening skills by Gwen Nyhus Stewart
49. Types of nonverbal communication - Kinesics (or, "It's not what you say but how you say it") by Michel Fortin
48. Marketing on the cheap by Diana Clement
47. Writing articles for the media by Diana Clement
46. Media savvy - how to become a journalist's friend, by Diana Clement
45. Clipart: when to use it and when NOT to use it
44. Intranet podcasting - why I believe it is an essential internal communication tool
35: Interpersonal communication in business - eight things NOT to do!
25: The use of pompous words (...don't do it! )
19: Communicating with confidence by Peter Murphy
18: How to communicate with negative people by Peter Murphy
"Thank you for the free info. I am giving a presentation on communication and needed ideas." Janet Lashley, USA
"Good one. Very knowledgeful." Zulfiqar Naqvi, Karachi
"Really halpful, thank you." Cynthia Ocharo, Kenya
"Not only extremely informative and interesting, but also full of useful information." Celina Rodriguez, USA
"I'm taking up business administration and I've found your web site to be a wonderful help in my assignment. Thank you very much." Karon Pernell, USA
"Like the bit on stretching yourself; never thought of bettering my previous best effort!" Marla, UK
"I am very glad for this page" Cawil, Somalia
"I only discovered your website today and found material that is well and clearly written, interesting and useful" Jim, USA
"Really wonderful" Joana, Ghana
"I found this article invaluable not only in content, but also in the way you made it all flow together. Thank you" Pam, USA
"Hey Lee. I am currently doing a research paper on personalities. It is focused on the "Smarter Not Harder" Project. Your article proved to be beneficial and insightful on an interaction view that my narrower view missed" Sarah, USA
"I was quite unfamiliar with "podcasting" until I came across your article. I think it may be an effective way of getting information out to employees. I hope to couple it with blogs in the near future. Thank you for your informative input" Briana, USA
"This is a brilliant web page" Lillian, Zambia
"This article helped me to improve on weak areas of my presentation skills" Razeena, Columbo
"Innovative thoughts" Viyayan, India
"I have found this article very interesting and helpful. I am currently doing some work on this topic and I am finding it hard to figure out which syllable is likely to be stressed and why in the following two non-sense words 'wandler' and 'remenderateness'" Loni, England
"I found your article extremely useful - easy to navigate and very easy to understand. I learned something new (which is always a plus!) when I read the Psychological Rule of 7 plus or minus 2. I would not normally take time to provide feedback, but I found value in your article and therefore took the time" Denise, Ohio
"I appreciate your thoughts relating to presentation skills" Shabir, India
"Excellent. These are very valuable for me. I find these articles very helpful for my study" Ghulam Mohya, Pakistan
"Went a long way in helping me with my group work, thank you" Jane, Kenya
"I am using your article for my business communications course I am taking. I found the information in here very useful as I deal with a lot of anxiety. Just the simple idea of turning anxiety into positive excitement is something that I am going to try on a daily basis" Christy, USA
"I liked it, I thought everything in the article was true, and it was interesting to hear about the different spaces we encounter" Erick, USA
"The article provded me valuable information regarding communication barriers" Chakra, Nepal
"Great info. Can you direct me in the direction of a local ToastMasters club? I would greatly appreciate it" Mark, USA
"I like this article very much. I'm happy I got something from it. God bless you" Moomin, Maldives
"Helped me with info, thank you" Tessa, USA
"Great information. Thanks for the rule of 7 plus or minus 2. I was not aware of it" Trudy, Canada
"This article was most helpful to me. Not only did I find out what a weak handshake can cause but I also found that I also am guilty of one of the communication blunders, speaking too softly. I am constantly running into people who give me weak handshakes both in business and in my personal life. You don't know how uneasy I get when I'm shaking a limp hand. At first I thought maybe my stature made people uneasy as I am a 6 foot tall 290 pound guy, but now that I analyze that I'm a soft talker I believe this might have contributed to the weak handshakes I've been getting. Especially the last time when I shook my fiance's father's hand and he gave me the dead palm. :)" Frederick, USA
"Thanks a lot for the great article. It's really helped me a lot in my report writing and I received lots of material from it" Sajid, Pakistan
"I am a voice and accent trainer, and I think your articles are terrific. I will be using a lot of your material in my future training. Many thanks" Suzanne, India
"It is very interesting and useful" Elson, Tanzania
"It is of great help for my term paper.Be blessed" Orre, Nairobi
"Awesome" Rajiv, Sri Lanka
"I think this article is good, because it is easy to understand, it's so real and not complicated, and I agree with every thing written in the article" Aladin, Libya
"Hey I really liked this page. In communications studies, we are taught the 7 C's of communication but this is very well written. More so, helps me connect with my work too" Surbhi, India
"Let me just get to the bottom line, I really appreciate you for putting all of this wonderful information on this website for free" Eric, Falls Church
"The content of the article was very good, it was interesting and it was knowledgable" Pradeep, India
"Very helpful, thanks" Alan, Malta
"It is a useful article since I need it to complete my paper for the cross culture understanding subject in my school. Can i quote this, plz?" Diandra, Indonesia
"Good article for my final year Higher National Diploma" Rebecca, Ghana
"i have got exellent ideas form urs article thank u very much lee" Anis, Pakistan
"I really like your simplistic approach concerning communication it was very useful." Tim, USA
"Helped me out" Andrew, Canada
"What a wonderful, helpful, article" Ariel, USA
"What you have here is very well researched. It should help me a lot on my MBA and in life in general" Tom, Nairobi
"I am doing an assessment on a business and your website has helped me see how a business should communicate" Natasha, Glen Innes
"this is exactly what i was looking for to improve my accent" Javier, Peru
"I really agree with everything that you're saying regarding podcasting." Makaela, Overland Park
"All spot on. I use much of this but some points were new and were great food for thought" Rob, UK
"I'm enrolled in a college course pertaining to organizational communication and this article gives me some info not presented in my course work" Tyler, Amherst
"it was helpful" Stephanie, Toledo
"This was an excellent article and description of personal space, it helped a lot" Jeremy, Toledo
"It was really good and fantastic. Like i said,your article was too good" Mourice, Uganda
"Excellent article. I'm sending the link to my marketing and communications colleagues" Donna, Ontario
"I agree with the article" Will, Toledo
"Yes this article was able to give me a closer look at workplace communications" Evelyn, Toledo
"Yes this article was able to give me a closer look at workplace communications" Erick, Oregon
"The article provded me valuable information regarding communication barriers" Chakra, Kathmandu, Nepal
"I read some of Lee Hopkins quotes on several websites. I would like to use some of these quotes in some local postings and communication signs at my place of business. I wanted to make sure it was OK before I did it" Anthony, USA
"Dude ur a life-saver!! I'll remember you in ma prayers ;) thanx!" Kayani, Pakistan
Reports I have written:
Measuring the impact and ROI of social media - for Ark Group
Making Social Media work for your business - for Ark Group
Social Media: The New Business Communication Landscape - for Ark Group
How to get started with podcasting in your organisation - for Melcrum Publishing
Contributing author to How to use social media to solve critical internal communication issues - for Melcrum Publishing
Contributing author to How to communicate with hard-to-reach employees - for Melcrum Publishing
As a subscriber you get kept up-to-date on when new articles are added.
Subscribe now! and receive a free version of my $79 report, Master the Art and Science of Twitter for Business.
It's the first in a series of reports I'm writing on how to master the various key elements of social media.
Each report is an-depth, step-by-step process that explains in clear, plain English how to master a particular social media tool and help your business communicate better for better business results.
Each report is easy to read, easy to implement and easy on the pocket -- just $79 per copy.
But as a new subscriber to my blog and newsletter, I'm giving you a copy of the free version of Master the Art and Science of Twitter for Business report as a way of saying "thank you" for joining my community.
Please subscribe, then check for the email you will receive from me shortly after, because in the email will be details of how to download the report [1.2mb pdf]
If you would like to use any of the articles on this site that I have personally written (they will either have 'By Lee Hopkins' on them, or nothing at all) please feel free to do so as long as you include the following 'resource box' text and a link back to www.LeeHopkins.com:
Finally, if this site or any of the articles have been of any help to you, perhaps you'd like to say 'thank you' by throwing a few pennies my way. If so, please click on the button below and donate whatever you feel is appropriate. The payment is handled by PayPal and is extremely secure. Thanks.
Subscribe to my weekly business communication newsletter and receive a FREE version of my highly-regarded report, 'Master the Art and Science of Twitter for Business' (that sells for $79)
Find out more...
Related material :
A 12-step plan to take you from Twitter newbie to Twitter supremo and grow your business in the process.
Better Business Writing
You’ve probably always wanted to improve your writing skills in your workplace, but perhaps there wasn't a training course around to help you.
Well, now there is.
Turn Guesstimates into Estimates & close more sales!
Award-winning ProposalKit gives your clients the detailed price quote and proposal they need so YOU close more sales (and boost your bottom line!) Finally you can quote with accuracy, increasing your profitability and professionalism. ProposalKit is easy, customizable, proven, and downloadable now! http://www.proposalkit.com
Social Media White Paper
Trevor Cook and I wrote a booklet to help our clients and friends come to grips with this new online phenomenon called 'Social Media' or 'Web2.0'. Now in its third edition, it is still being widely cited and is receiving lots of favourable comments.
Find out more about it (opens new window)
Vodburner is my tool of choice for recording skype video calls, either for later podcasting or simply for my own record. Now that video is becoming more and more important, I can't imagine online life without it.
More about Vodburner...
What you say about Lee Hopkins:
"One of the best days I've spent with a man! "
"As a speaker, Lee and his alter ego in the guise of avatar 'Lee Laperriere' played a key role in making our virtual event in Second Life a success. Lee was well-researched, engaging and enthusiastic about the possibilities that virtual collaboration brings and his presentation showed that he had really thought about the needs of our audience"
"Wow - what a presentation, it went so well, thank you very much! Fantastic job! "
"Lindy and Lee, you were both brilliant and I'm very thankful and pleased for your efforts, it was excellent. Thank you. "
"One of Australia's leading public relations practitioners in the so-called new media"
"While I only had the pleasure of actually meeting Lee face-to-face several months ago, I have been aware of him in conference programs and through feedback from one of my team members for a while. Lee has an amazing and unique skill for managing the new media to support business outcomes"
"Oz's best social network strategist"
"As for Local Royalty, you really are a Superstar among the bloggers and blogosphere!"
"Lee Hopkins, one of Australia's most respected social media experts"
"Lee was very entertaining and knowledgeable. He demystified social media for me and he made me feel it IS possible."
"His enthusiasm is infectious - exciting stuff!"
"Excellent. A really fascinating insight from an engaging speaker."
"A very difficult topic but it was explained in a fantastically simple way."
"The Walkleys relies on the good will of Australia’s talented communicators to make events like these happen and I can’t thank you enough for taking time out from your heavy schedule to make the convention such a memorable event."
"The workshop was very useful in that it enabled us to directly relate what we learnt in the seminar to our business. Lee was very easy to relate to and he presented all the information in a way that was simple to understand."
"Informative and engaging - gave good overview of new on-line technologies and how they can be applied to businesses. Particularly valued the opportunity to have a separate session to look at the specific needs and potential uses for my own business."
"Great to talk to someone who is expert in their field and passionate."
"The ability to interact one on one with Lee, as well as seeing new technologies and how they can be easily implemented into current business processes [was great]"
"Great. Lee was very engaging and presented info in easy to understand language and examples. Use of music, video, PowerPoint etc keep contents fun and educational. Great stuff!"
“Great! Even I could understand and appreciate the content. Excellent examples, wonderful presentation. I’m going back to share with my team. Thank you. "
“Lee was a great facilitator and his energy and passion for social media was evident."
“Excellent, enthusiastic presenter who is right into what he is talking about. Walking the talk. Just the right amount of info about the different topics. Not too geeky. Strong emphasis on how the tools can assist effective business communication. Relaxed friendly atmosphere. The workshop opened lots of doors, stimulating. I’m strongly encouraged to try things out. Many thanks.”
“Lee was great – knowledgeable, enthusiastic, generous in sharing his expertise. I liked the demonstrations."
"Great Workshop... helped me crystalise my thoughts on social media and now I feel ready to develop the strategy and make use of this great new medium"
Would you like me to run a workshop in-house for YOUR company?
Contact me to discuss how we can bring your company into this new and exciting communication universe.
View many of the presentations I have given over at Slideshare
Why does employee communication matter?
Download a presentation I gave to a group of PR students on slideshare
For your consideration:
Writing for a web audience